Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Coach Patti

I really didn't fall off the face of the earth last week.
I had to take a blogging sabbatical of sorts for a very good reason.
This is my story...
and I'm sticking to it.

Each summer my BFF Missie puts together a "Kids College" on our campus.
Because I'm her friend, I get to work too. 
Ain't that the way it always is?

Missie put me in charge of library last year...made sense to me...I'm a reader extraordinaire, teach reading and English, yada, yada, yada...
This year she put me in charge of PE.

P.

freakin'

E.

Now, I do not have one athletic bone in my body.
Not one.


I was a cheerleader in high school during the days when all we had to do was look cute on the sidelines and yell cute chants.
There was no throwing people around or really even any gymnastics.
We did run in with the team at the beginning of the game...then, we drank a little water and smiled for all the pictures our moms took.

I also ran track one year for one day. :)
It was hot.
That's the extent of my athleticism.

Anyhoo...me and my not one athletic bone did what Missie assigned us to do and taught P.E. all week.

Last week from 7:40 in the morning until 12:30 each day I shuffled little children (ages 1st grade - 6th grade) around the gym, blew the whistle quite often,





ran up and down the basketball court (I'm the one in the little black circle about to pass out),


took frequent water breaks, referred games, refereed arguments, took more water breaks, ate a snack pack of Nutter Butter cookies or Cheez Its for breakfast,




made up rules, broke rules, reminded kids about the rules,






blew the whistle some more, and most importantly (to the story I'm sticking to in this post) wore myself slap out.


Each day after clean up and a quick lunch with the children I gave birth to, my BFF Missie, and her kid, we had a couple of days of doctor's appointments (story for another day) and I worked hard to save my tomato plants.  We also had 3 extra kids at our house most of the week that my firstborn was babysitting and VBS at church from 5:30-8:00.

Lord, have mercy.

Suffice to say that by the end of each day last week, I was anxiously awaiting bedtime. 
And, when I say anxiousy awaiting, I mean standing by the window waiting for the sun to go down.
There was no more physical stamina for blogging.
There was no brain activity for blogging.
There was not even a real desire for blogging.
I just wanted my bed, some Ibuprofen and sleep.
Thank goodness I had already started some of the posts of the last few days or I would have never been able to catch up.

My entire body still aches.
I feel like someone (or a bunch of little someones) marched all over my body all week.

Particularly my knees.
It's official.
I'm old.






3 comments:

  1. That getting old stuff sucks, doesn't it? I'm with you, any time I do anything at all out of the ordinary, I hurt. The move last week (by move I mean supervising packers and movers) almost did me in. Now I'm DEEP cleaning the house so we can clear next week. I'm exhausted. It's 8:00 PM here and I'm wondering if it's too early to go to bed. My excuse is that it's a quiet place to read. That is a good reason...right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I'm exhausted just reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Betsy. I am out of breath just reading this. Wow!

    ReplyDelete