Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Wanna Be More Organized Wednesday


One of the biggest helps to my budget is my mom.
My mom has taken my girls shopping for as many years as I can remember...for Back to School clothes, Winter clothes for Christmas, Easter dresses, and beach clothes.  I have not had to worry about figuring out how in the world to work their clothes into my budget for a long time.  I get to focus my budget on their activity uniforms, costumes etc and a few special needs here and there.  We don't usually get to see my mom at Thanksgiving because we host the Smith Thanksgiving in our home.  My mom usually hosts a smaller Thanksgiving at her own home.  This year she decided to take the entire Thanksgiving week off of work, which we also have since we're a family of educators and students.  She called and said, "Let's go shopping!"
Holy Smokes!!

We did have to be extra organized to take this impromptu shopping trip.
I told my girls the dressing and sweet potato casserole had to be made and frozen and our house had to be completely clean before we could go.  
You should have seen them racing around our house like chickens with their heads cut off.
They got the house done though...and thoroughly enjoyed their shopping rewards.




My youngest lives in Toms...they are a little more expensive but for each sale, a needy child also gets a pair of shoes.  We don't mind paying a little more for causes like this.


None of us likes to shop on the Friday after Thanksgiving; in fact, there are some people still alive in this world because I stay home on Black Friday ;)
We found some pretty good deals anyway...and the stores were pretty quiet on Monday especially.
My girls are set for winter now, and I am relieved.

I haven't done much weeknight cooking this past week...in preparation for Thanksgiving...but I've tried to stay organized with the "meal of the year" :) 
Thanksgiving falls during the last full week of November and that's traditionally my toughest week budget wise...I had to really watch my pennies to make sure I didn't run short.  I had one more grocery store trip to make today and was down to the last $100.  I made it by the skin of my teeth...but I did make it.  The Head of My Household picked up our ham and extra turkey breast from Honey Baked Ham...I wouldn't have had enough in my budget for those traditional purchases but he had a little extra in his :)
I'm counting on leftovers for the last couple of days of the month until payday next week.
Whew!


Our Menu for tomorrow:

 Turkey with Rosemary
Old-fashioned Cornbread Dressing (my mom's recipe)
Cranberry sauce (the jellied kind with the rings imprinted)
Jiffy Cornbread Casserole (my mother-in-law brings)
Sweet Potato Casserole (a combination of the best I've found over the years...pecan and brown sugar topping WITH marshmallows as well)
Green Bean Bundles
Yellow Squash Casserole
Baby Green Peas
Mashed Potatoes
Oven Roasted Asparagus
Rolls

Pumpkin Trifle
Pumpkin Pie (the youngest's favorite)
Butterfinger Pie (my middle daughter's specialty)

I won't be posting tomorrow.  I will be enjoying one of the most wonderful days of the year with my family.  I hope and pray that all my fellow bloggers out there will be able to do the same.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!


6 comments:

  1. I completely understand what you mean about how helpful it is to have your mother help with the clothes shopping. Just this weekend when my in-laws were visiting, my MIL bought both kids heavy winter coats, hats, and gloves. It was nearly $150 that I definitely did not have in our budget this week, so I am incredibly grateful for that.

    Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your menu looks great! (even without Paula Deen cooking! LOL) Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're more organized than I am! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you guys bought a lot of stuff!

    And your meal sounds delicious, enjoy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like mom is a lifesaver for you! I always try to put away a little bit each month for clothes for the kids, but I would love it if my mom went out and got my kids some new stuff when I couldn't afford to do it. So much to be thankful for! And your meal plan looked delicious! I hope that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you had a wonderful day...your menu looks great, and I'm with your middle daughter on the butterfinger pie :)

    Your mom sounds like a wonderful, generous grandma!

    ReplyDelete