Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Can't Wait Wednesday - The Captain's Daughter by Meg Mitchell Moore



Linking up with Wishful Endings today. 


Every week I skim through the "Coming Soon" list at Barnes and Noble for the following week.  
I love looking at the covers and selecting my upcoming favorites.  Yesterday, I picked 10 of those covers without looking at anything else for my Top Ten Tuesday list.  
Today, however, I skimmed the blurbs to see which ones I really couldn't wait for...and here it is:



The Captain's Daughter by Meg Mitchell Moore




Here's the synopsis and first remarks from Amazon: 
(I've highlighted in red the parts that yell at me loud and clear that I must read this book!)


For fans of Elin Hilderbrand and Emma Straub comes an emotionally gripping novel about a woman who returns to her hometown in coastal Maine and finds herself pondering the age-old question of what could have been

Growing up in Little Harbor, Maine, the daughter of a widowed lobsterman, Eliza Barnes could haul a trap and row a skiff with the best of them. But she always knew she'd leave that life behind. Now that she's married, with two kids and a cushy front-row seat to suburban country club gossip in an affluent Massachusetts town, she feels adrift.

When her father injures himself in a boating accident, Eliza pushes the pause button on her own life to come to his aid. But when she arrives in Maine, she discovers her father's situation is more dire than he let on. Eliza's homecoming is further complicated by the reemergence of her first love--and memories of their shared secret. Then Eliza meets Mary Brown, a seventeen-year-old local who is at her own crossroad, and Eliza can't help but wonder what her life would have been like if she'd stayed.

Filled with humor, insight, summer cocktails, and gorgeous sunsets, THE CAPTAIN'S DAUGHTER is a compassionate novel about the life-changing choices we make and the consequences we face in their aftermath.


Have you heard anything about this author or this particular title? 
What do you think?


8 comments:

  1. I like the sound of the setting of this one and it just might be a good book to read although it's not my usual genre. So glad you shared it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds hopeful and heartbreaking all at once! Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking at that cover and wishing I was sitting there looking at the sea! I find water very relaxing and I wish I lived near it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, me too! I'm about 1 1/2 hours from the nearest beach...but I love to sit outside in my backyard and just stare at the water in the pool. I don't even have to get in... :)

      Delete
  4. I'm not familiar with this author but I do tend to enjoy Elin Hilderbrand's novels, so I'm intrigued by this one. It sounds like one of those wonderful reads that leaves you with so much to think about. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo, Hallo!

      I travelled through the linky closer to when this went live & even shared your link to this post via my #WaitingOnWednesday No.2; except to say, I haven't had the chance to explain why I thought I might be keen on reading this one!

      To answer your questions, no I never heard of the author but it's the slow pacing of how the story unfolds & refolds back into the heart of the character's journey which I thought I might enjoy the most - it's a different kind of story to read and has a different kind of purpose as far as how you settle into what I believe will be the final takeaway. I like stories which do not always fit the regular niche you read as they help keep you well-rounded. Thanks for highlighting this novel!

      I also agree with Suzanne - this will make me think for sure!

      Delete